Standard Specification for Gray Iron Castings
11. Cast Test Bars
11.1 Test bars shall be separate castings poured from the same lot as the castings they represent and shall have dimen-sions as shown in Table 4. Allowance may be made for reasonable pattern draft within the tolerances shown in Table 4. Test bars A, B, and C are all standard test bars in the form of simple cylinders. Test bar S is special and is intended for use where the standard bars are not satisfactory.
11.2 The test bars shall be cast in dried, baked, or chemi-cally bonded molds made mainly of an aggregate of siliceous sand with appropriate binders. The average grain size of the sand shall approximate that of the sand in which the castings are poured. Molds for the test bars shall be approximately at room temperature when poured. More than one test bar may be cast in a single mold, but each bar in the mold shall be surrounded by a thickness of sand which is not less than the diameter of the bar. A suitable design for a mold is shown in Fig. 2.
- Gray Iron Castings, ASTM Specification A 48, Class 30B.Gray Iron Castings, ASTM Specification A 48, Class 40C.
- Requirements for Tensile Strength of Gray Cast Irons in Separately Cast Test Bars (Inch-Pound)
- Requirements for Tensile Strength of Gray Cast Irons in Separately Cast Test Bars (Metric)
- Separately Cast Test Bars for Use When a SpecificCorrelation Has Not Been Established Between the Test Bar and the Casting
- Diameters and Lengths of Cast Test BarsSuitable Design and Dimensions for Mold for Separately Cast Cylindrical Test Bars for Gray Iron
- Mechanical properties of castings